Nose Jobs – Scentwork for Dogs
Dogs are known for their sense of smell. This trait can (and does) have widespread benefits for us as a human race. Dogs help out with their nose more than most of us know…here are just a few ways:
- Land mine detection. Dogs’ sensitive olfactory receptors can pinpoint mines four inches underground or more. Mine detection dogs prevent thousands of deaths and injuries in war-torn countries every year.
- Scat sniffing. Dogs help wildlife researchers by locating scat from endangered species.
- Termite detection. Beagles and Labs are the exterminator’s (and homeowner’s) best friends. The dogs identify infestations in the hidden crawl spaces of houses that show no outward signs of termites.
- Truffle sniffing. Why have dogs replaced pigs as the favorite tracking animal of Italy’s truffle hunters? Pigs tend to eat what they find. Dogs settle for a biscuit.
- Lifeboat rescue. When rivers flood or boats sink in lakes, dogs help track down survivors caught in vegetation.
Scentwork classes for dogs are a great way to see if your dog has what it takes! AZ Dog Sports offers nosework classes all throughout the week. Checkout our dog class calendar here.