"Under the ADA, a service animal is defined as a dog that has been individually trained to do work or perform tasks for an individual with a disability. The task(s) performed by the dog must be directly related to the person's disability."
AZ Dog Sports is dedicated to protecting the sanctity of the Service Dog industry. We understand that there are many types of disabilities for which Service Dog's are trained, and we want to help those in need. As quoted above from the ADA, a person with a Service Dog must have a specific disability for which the dog performs a specific act. An Emotional Support Dog is not considered a Service Dog under the ADA.
What are Psychiatric Service Dogs?
- from Medical Mutts Service Dogs, Inc.
Can my ESA become my Service Dog?
- from Medical Mutts Service Dogs, Inc.
Service Dog Program at AZ Dog Sports
AZ Dog Sports (AZDS) offers affordable training for Service Dogs in the valley. Our program is geared at handlers who wish to train Service Dogs for themselves. We offer both group-class options or private in-home training sessions, with professional CCPDT-KA certified trainers. We use science-based training under APDT guidelines.
**Participants in our Service Dog Program are required to provide a letter from a medical professional advising that the use of a Service Dog would be beneficial to their treatment.**
Your dog can be trained for mobility, psychiatric assistance, PTSD, diabetic alert, therapeutic facility dogs and more.
Many nonprofit Service Dog programs have long waiting lists, admit limited numbers of applicants, long application processes and/or very large price tags. Most rely on the individual to be able to spend a significant amount of time away from their own home to be trained or attend weeks of handler training with the organization.
Our program is timely, affordable, and builds on the existing bond between you and your dog. We screen the puppy or dog selection with a professional evaluator before you enroll to ensure the dog is a suitable candidate for our program.
We provide handlers, day training, board and train, private in home and small group classes. We fit the training to the needs of the client.
CHOOSE TO START YOUR JOURNEY ONE OF TWO WAYS:
BRILLIANT SERVICE DOG PACKAGE
The Brilliant Service Dog Package is designed for handlers who are starting with a new puppy or a young dog. This part of the training program can take up to 6 months, depending on your needs and desired outcome. The cost for this package is $2,900 and is a very comprehensive way to start your training. At your initial sign up (one time) you will be provided with our puppy training starter kit that includes a treat pouch, treats, and a place mat, all in an AZ Dog Sports carry bag.
- $2,900 includes 12, 1-hour in home lessons with one of our certified trainers and 12, 1-hour group classes - for a total of 24 hours of learning and instruction.
- Includes starter kit of treats, treat pouch, dog place mat and carry bag.
- Once your 24 hours are complete, you get to choose one training class a week for 3 months! This is the opportunity for you and your dog to bond by taking additional classes together. Choose from any of our classes; including sports, therapy dog, agility, service dog tasks, rally or nose work. You pick the classes that fits your schedule!
- This package is non-transferable and expires 6 months from start date.
SERVICE DOG TRAINING PHASE 1
Our Service Dog Training Phase 1 is for handlers who are starting with a puppy or young dog. This part of the program will take 3 - 4 months, depending on your needs. This phase is $1,495 and includes the basic equipment you will need. Each team will be provided with a high-quality lifetime handmade leather 8-way lead, a treat pouch, treats, a clicker, and a place mat for beginning training at initial sign up (one time).
- This phase of beginner classes can take anywhere from 3 - 4 months, while the dog learns and matures.
- 30 classes, 3 consecutive months, Silver membership - (10 classes maximum each month, expires after 4 months).
- Handler and dog may be required to repeat some courses before advancing to the second level.
Beginner classes include:
- Puppy Obedience
- Polite K9
- Obedience 1
- Scentwork 1
- Beginning Public Access
- Rally 1
- Heeling/Leash Skills
SERVICE DOG TRAINING PHASE 2
This level of study is customized to each client’s needs and can last anywhere from 2 to 6 months. Length of training depends on the requirements of the individual guardian, the dog’s level of maturity, and ability to work on the desired tasks.
- $1,795 includes up to 12 group classes and 10 private lessons (in home or doing public access including hospitals, airport, restaurants, movies, Dr appointments, all manner of daily living) - all completed within a 4 month period.
- Public Access and Continuing Advanced Service Skills
Intermediate classes include:
- Helpful Canine
- Clicker and Shaping
- Impulse Control
- Scentwork 2
- Rally 2
- Intermediate Public Access
- Therapy Dog
Please contact Layne Kizler for more details 602-237-6775
Watch our Service Dogs in Action!
• • • • •
We recommend you read the below info-graphic before you begin this journey with us: