Did you know these puppy facts?
- Puppies are born blind, deaf, and toothless, but able to smell.
- Puppies begin developing permanent teeth around the 12-week mark.
- Puppies’ eyes and ears begin to open at 10 to 16 days of age.
- Puppies spend on average 14 hours of every day sleeping.
- The growth rate of puppies varies widely, depending on the size of the dog. Birth weights can multiply more than tenfold within the first 7 to 8 weeks.
- Puppies go through several developmental stages early in life: neonatal (0-2 weeks), transitional (2-4 weeks), socialization (3-12 weeks), and adolescence (6-18 months).
How To Puppy Proof Your Home
- Your house. Hide electrical cords. Hunt for and hide small objects your puppy can chew or choke on. Get guardrails for stairs, low windows, and balconies. Invest in mats or runners for slippery hallways. Place poisonous plants in high spots—or give them to dogless friends.
- Your kitchen and bathroom. Put safety latches on any cabinet with cleaning supplies or poison. Keep plastic bags out of your puppy’s reach, and secure your garbage can.
- Your yard. Make sure your yard is escape-proof. Put a fence around your pool—or keep your puppy away from it. Make sure chemicals, fertilizers, and sharp garden tools are off-limits.
- Always supervise. That’s indoors and out. If you can’t supervise, put your puppy in a confinement/safe area with a toy.
If you recently adopted a new puppy….click here to sign up for one of our popular puppy classes!